8/21/2014

Holiday Beauty Haul / Mini Reviews #2

Over the holidays, I have done one hell of a lot of shopping and bought one hell of a lot of makeup!  So many new things have been released that I am desperate to try and there have been a lot of things that I have wanted to try for a long time that I have finally got around to purchasing!
 As a beauty blogger, I have always wanted to own the Urban Decay Naked Palettes which are pretty much a staple product in the beauty community.  I discovered that the MUA Undressed and Undress Me Too Palettes are pretty much exact dupes for the naked palettes!  I have a full review of the Undressed Palette here where I show comparisons between these and the naked palettes if you are interested.  These are my new favourite eyeshadows and I have not used anything different since I got them.
 The Maybelline Baby Lips are probably the most raved about lip balms in the beauty industry and when I saw that the Electro Baby Lips had launched in the UK, I had to pick up 2 to see how they compared to the original baby lips.  I picked up strike a rose, a neon coral, and berry bomb, a neon purple.  These are exactly the same as the original baby lips in terms of formula, very sheer and moisturising except the electro ones are not flavoured/scented like the original collection.  I really like these and I have used them a lot since I got them.  Although the colours are neon and bright, I find them very was to wear, especially the purple one because it goes on a very sheer very shade, almost like if Mac's Rebel was a lip balm.  I think it would be perfect for Autumn/Winter time.
 The L'oreal True Match Foundation is a very controversial foundation with a lot of mixed reviews.  I have heard a lot of people rave about it and a lot of people hate it.  I decided to pick it up and see how I felt about it.  I did a first impressions post on it here if you are interested.  I am still a little unsure on whether I like it, I think I need to use it a little bit more and get used to it because it is very different from any other foundation that I have ever used.  The wear time is good, the coverage is good, the finish is amazing, I just don't like how it emphasises pores, dry patches and blemishes and I think it is probably better suited to someone with naturally good skin, however I will carry on using it and I may feel differently about it once I am used to it.
 The Mac Studio Fix Fluid is said to be one of the best foundations for people with oily and blemished skin, and I have to say that all the hype surrounding this is definitely true! When I went to the Mac shop, they gave me the shade NW15 which was way to dark and looked absolutely awful.  I went back and switched it for NW10 and this is the perfect shade for me.  I absolutely love this foundation, it goes on so nicely, makes my face look absolutely flawless, doesn't oxidise too much and the lasting power is unlike any other foundation I have ever used before.  This is definitely going to get a lot of use, will definitely be repurchased and could possibly be given holy grail status before too long!

 Whilst on holiday, my parents wanted to get something from argos and the nearest one to where we were was bridgewater.  It just so happened that next door to argos was a next and I just happened to pop in there for a little mooch around when I spotted something quite exciting.......a huge nyx cosmetics stand!  I would have got a lot more but I thought it would be better if I tried a few things firs to see how I liked them before I went the whole hog and bought one of everything!  It was quite reasonably priced, slightly more than drugstore but nothing compared to the prices of having it shipped.  Their Jumbo Eye Pencils are very popular so I picked up the shade 'milk' which is probably the most popular shade, it is just a simple white which can be used as a highlight or a base for other shadows to make them appear more vibrant, and 'yoghurt' which is a very pretty pinky champagne colour which could be swept over the lid and blended for a natural look or can be used with a matte brown through the crease and a darker colour in the outer corner.  I am planning to do a full review on these soon!  I also picked up a Powder Blush in the shade 'peach' which is a pretty light pink shade.  I already have one of their powder blushes so I knew I was going to like this!
Everyone went mental when the MUA Luxe Velvet Lip Lacquer's were released a couple of months ago and they sold out immediately.  I have been hunting for them for ages and I finally found them!  I got the shades serene, a light pink shade, criminal, a neon pink shade and reckless, a true red.  I am still not sure what I think of these.  The pigmentation is amazing and the formula seems good, however, I don't think matte bright lips really look good on me because I am so pale and I think they are a bit too much.  Another thing I noticed that I'm not to sure about, is how they wear off on the inside of your lips and they flake if you rub your lips together.  I will try these some more and try and stick with them and let you know my final verdict.
Mascaras that claim to make your lashes grow definitely appeal to me.  Seeing as I loved the rimmel lash accelerator, I thought I would try the Revlon Lash Potion as I hadn't really heard much about it and I was intrigued to see how the 2 compared as there is about £3 different in the price.  This is waterproof, which is good but it is such a pain to get off! I literally had to scrub with micellar water for about 10 minutes before I had got the worst of it off!  As for the application, I found it was one of those mascaras that takes quite a lot of hard work and time to apply. It is a tad on the clumpy side and I had to keep going over it to try and lengthen and de-clump my eyelashes.  I have stopped bothering with using it on my bottom lashes because the wand is way too big and it just makes a huge mess.  I think I need to play around with this a bit more!

The last product is probably the one that I am most excited about (this is my instagram photo, which is why it has a valencia filter on it! My Instagram is here, go and give me a follow!) .  The Chanel Rouge Coco Shine in the shade 'Boy' has been on my wish list for what seems like forever and I finally splurged and got it! It is the perfect nude for me and I am in love with it, but I'm scared to use it because when it runs out, there is no way I can afford to repurchase! If you are willing to spend £25 on a lipstick, these are definitely the way to go.  They give a sheer wash of colour so are perfect to wear everyday and they also keep your lips hydrated all day long!

We have reached the end of this mammoth post!  As you can probably tell, my August Favourites post is going to be jam packed because I have discovered so many new products that I absolutely love!

Emily xx

No comments:

Post a Comment